From: Maurizio Vitale (maurizio.vitale_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-23 10:13:31

On May 23, 2007, at 10:03 AM, Paul A Bristow wrote:

> 1 It seems nice to be able to create a one-stop visualisation of a
> container, for example:
>
> std::vector<double> my_data_structure;
> // fill with my data...
>
> my-graph << my_data_structure; //
>
> But should the myriad of graph plotting *options* be set using
> operator <<
>
> allowing them to be chained together thus
>
> my_graph << line_color(black) << point_color(blue)
> << x_range(-10, 10) << y_range(0, 5)...;
>
> as suggested by John Maddock (who has a most irritating habit of
> being right ;-)

I'd be for this approach. Later you may want to have option
containers and the options
set explicitely override the corresponding ones in the container.
You can further evolve the container into a full-blown cascading
stylesheet management.
[this maybe what property tree is for, I haven't looked into it yet]

By choosing this route you can progress incrementally and add
functionality as you go
(either as part of the SoC project or later).

Regards,

        Maurizio