From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-04 18:41:31

On Jun 4, 2007, at 5:06 PM, Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> Every library is tested against particular set of
> dependencies selected by developer. But only *one* per lib. It does
> require
> additional disk space for source tree copy. I don't believe it major
> requirement these days.

I thought that too, but you are wrong. One of the most common
failures with regression testers is that they run out of hard drive
space, because testing Boost... just a single tree... requires tens
of gigabytes.

>> * We don't test the build and install process.
>
> What do you want to test? In any case it doesn't make release
> "unstable"

In an ideal world, we would:
        (1) Build all of Boost, as a user would
        (2) Install Boost
        (3) Build tests against the installed Boost, then
        (4) Run those tests

>> * We don't test release versions, even though this is the most used
>> variant by users.
>
> We shouldn't be doing this at all IMO. NO testing during release.

I believe Rene means the "release" variant, i.e., with optimizations
turned on. This also saves a *ton* of disk space. Also, testing with
shared libraries rather than dynamic saves a lot of disk space.

        - Doug