From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-04 18:51:56

On Jun 4, 2007, at 3:42 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
> Yes. And some of us have been working hard toward that. I've made the
> changes to the regression scripts to publish test results to
> <http://beta.boost.org:8081/>. And Noel is hard at work making it
> possible to publish to that server directly from bjam+boost.build, and
> hence making it possible to shorten the testing tool chain.

Very nice. Is that Dart or Dart2?

While we're working on the CMake build system [*], we've been relying
on Dart2 to make sure that things are going well on a couple of
platforms. Troy set up nightly regression tests on a couple of
platforms and, more importantly, continuous testing on a few
platforms. After one checks code into Subversion, the continuous
testers would pick it up, re-build and re-test as appropriate, and
post the results immediately. It is very, very nice to work with, and
we should strive to have something similar.

[*] I don't want to discuss CMake in this thread, because it will not
be productive. When we're ready, we'll start a separate thread.

>> We will not ship 1.35.0 within the next year if we do
>> major surgery to our directory structure. It's just not going to
>> happen.
>
> There are two other aspect to 1.35.0 that I'm trying to address. In
> another thread, I raised the question of svn dir structure. And it
> devolved into the same aspects that this thread devolved to,
> discussing
> how to split the sources up as much as possible based on libraries.
> This is fine, but it doesn't get us any closer to managing the
> structure
> we currently have.

Agreed.

> We need to concentrate on making this simpler first!
> Which brings up the second item, the website. One of the
> simplifications
> for releases is to separate the website content from the release
> itself.
> (that was my rant)

Yes, the web site. From a tool perspective, we're in great shape:
updates to the website in Subversion trigger an immediate update on
beta.boost.org, so developers need only check in their changes and
they'll show up. With a bit of volunteer effort, we could easily
migrate all of the content on boost.org over to beta.boost.org and
make it live. That would make the task of keeping the web site up-to-
date far, far easier.

        - Doug