From: Henrik Sundberg (storangen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-10 15:50:24

2007/6/7, Gennadiy Rozental <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]>:
> I put up a wiki page that presents initial version of my proposal
> for boost development environment, testing and release procedures.
>
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/IndependentLibraryVersioning

Is the svn structure verified to work?

<theProposal>
Optional extensions/Combined tree as a reflection:
To support the need for a single command update of several (all) boost
libraries it might be convenient to create combined boost tree
(similar to our current tree) using svn externals based reflections.
boost/
   lib1 -> lib1/trunk/boost/lib1
   lib1.hpp -> lib1/trunk/boost/lib1.hpp
   lib2 -> lib2/trunk/boost/lib2
   lib2.hpp -> lib2/trunk/boost/lib2.hpp
   lib3 -> lib3/trunk/boost/lib3
   lib3.hpp -> lib3/trunk/boost/lib3.hpp
</theProposal>

I agree that this is needed. But I don't think it works.
>From http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.advanced.externals
   "[A]n externals definition can only point to directories, not files."
I.e. The hpp-externals above should not work.

I think this means that to be able to place all hpp-files in the
boost-directory, there should be a build step to put them there. I..e
When building lib1, it should copy it's own headers to the Boost
directory.
I don't know if that is good either. What happens if hpp-files are
renamed? Will the old files not remain in the Boost directory?

Is this a drawback in all proposals so far?
/$