From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-10 16:05:20

Henrik Sundberg wrote:
> 2007/6/7, Gennadiy Rozental <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]>:
>> I put up a wiki page that presents initial version of my proposal
>> for boost development environment, testing and release procedures.
>>
>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/IndependentLibraryVersioning
>
> Is the svn structure verified to work?
[-]
> I agree that this is needed. But I don't think it works.
>>From http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.advanced.externals
> "[A]n externals definition can only point to directories, not files."
> I.e. The hpp-externals above should not work.
>
> I think this means that to be able to place all hpp-files in the
> boost-directory, there should be a build step to put them there. I..e
> When building lib1, it should copy it's own headers to the Boost
> directory.
> I don't know if that is good either. What happens if hpp-files are
> renamed? Will the old files not remain in the Boost directory?
>
> Is this a drawback in all proposals so far?

I don't think Beman's proposal relies on any particular svn features.
Also svn externals break the read-only (http) vs. read-write (https)
arrangement. Someone who is using read-only access will not be able to
do updates if put in externals of the https variety, and vice versa. In
general I think relying on any particular RCS feature is going to get us
into trouble down the road. But that's just a hunch, so don't put too
much weight on it.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything