From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-11 06:22:51

Beman Dawes wrote:

> Thomas Witt has made the point strongly that a number of serious
> problems getting the release ready had to do with packaging,
> documentation, and other issues that are not currently covered by testing.
>
> So, yes, let's try to increase "testing" to cover a broader spectrum of
> problems. That will have to evolved over time, and in a way that
> integrates with our more traditional testing.
>
> The inspection reports are a start. Let's see what else we can come up with!

It would be a good thing if the installation procedure would be tested.
A release manager must feel uncomfortable, knowing that the code might
be ok, but not knowing whether the software actually can be installed.
(IIUC, this is one of the reasons for having the release candidates.)

A second step would be to test whether the installed versions behave as
intended (e.g. regarding auto-linking).

Regards,