From: Jake Voytko (jakevoytko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-26 22:07:36

All,

As you can see below, I've gone a long way on letting users customize plots.

Link to code:
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/soc/2007/VisualizationOfContainers#Complexexample
Link to image: http://www.tcnj.edu/~voytko2/svg_complex.htm

Mathias Gaunard suggested I look at "Boost.Parameter", and I think that it
could provide a lot of benefits to my library. The question I have is how
much should I let it influence my interface?

There are functions that could clearly benefit from named parameters.
plot_range() is the most obvious for me.. you could specify stroke and fill
colors, shapes, etc along with the iterator information. There are also
smaller gains that could be made, such as having a function for setting the
styles of the legend, one for the plot ticks, one for the background, etc.

What is the best practice for this? Should the use of named parameters be
ubiquitous, or should I only use them where there are huge benefits? I want
to make sure I stick with good practices before I start rewriting vast
swaths of my headers.

Thank you for your help,
Jake