From: Alec Ross (alec_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-06 04:17:37

In message <fa28b9250707051129w2fec285s77c32c696a54dbcf_at_[hidden]>,
Scott McMurray <me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden]> writes
>On 05/07/07, Ninel Evol <myLC_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Different topic:
>> ================
>> I read that some folks thought about the wxWidgets and the
>> Boost (C-0x) team joining forces.
>> I think that would be a marvelous idea!
>>
>I think they'd come to blows, given how reluctant wx seems to be to
>use any feature added to C++ in the past 17 years or so :|

I think that this is somewhat untrue and unfair.

>I don't think that's an ezaggeration, either. Have you looked at the
>wx developer guidelines lately? Looks like they want nothing from
>after the ARM:
> 1. Don't use C++ templates
> 2. Don't use C++ exceptions
> 3. Don't use RTTI
> 4. Don't use namespaces
> 5. Don't use STL
> 6. Don't declare variables inside for()
> 7. Don't use nested classes
> 8. Don't use new logical operators keywords
>~ http://www.wxwidgets.org/develop/standard.htm

This doc is obviously obsolete wrt the development codebase, and the
direction that it is taking.

It is true that the very early design and implementation decisions
(dating from pre-standard C++) have left several problems of legacy
drag. Some of these have been addressed, others are being removed or
mitigated. Some will be very hard to fix.

Of course the project could always do with additional support, patches
etc., should anyone want to contribute. ;)

FWIW I have been using STL quite satisfactorily with wxWidgets for
several years.

[snip]

--
   Alec Ross,    A-Train  http://www.a-train.co.uk
   +44 (0)1689 829163       +44 (0)7710 656955 (m)