From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-06 09:33:46

Alec Ross wrote:
> In message <fa28b9250707051129w2fec285s77c32c696a54dbcf_at_[hidden]>,
> Scott McMurray <me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden]> writes
>>Have you looked at the
>>wx developer guidelines lately? Looks like they want nothing from
>>after the ARM:
>> 1. Don't use C++ templates
>> 2. Don't use C++ exceptions
>> 3. Don't use RTTI
>> 4. Don't use namespaces
>> 5. Don't use STL
>> 6. Don't declare variables inside for()
>> 7. Don't use nested classes
>> 8. Don't use new logical operators keywords
>>~ http://www.wxwidgets.org/develop/standard.htm

I have also considered using WxWidgets and rejected it after seeing
that page.

> This doc is obviously obsolete wrt the development codebase, and the
> direction that it is taking.

Can you share a URL? I've just looked at their "Latest manual build
from the CVS online" at
http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~zeitlin/wxWindows/docs/wxwin.htm and it
seems to entirely follow those guidelines, with their own home-made
string, list and vector classes, a "WX" prefix instead of a namespace,
sentinel values to indicate errors, and so on. If this is out of date
that is great news, but they are keeping their new stuff well hidden!

> FWIW I have been using STL quite satisfactorily with wxWidgets for
> several years.

If you have a wrapper layer that converts WxString<->std::string,
WxList<->std::list etc., please share it!

Regards,

Phil.