From: Stjepan Rajko (stipe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-06 12:54:51

On 7/6/07, Martin Bonner <Martin.Bonner_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> [...]

I feel compelled to chime in here, being that I live in two worlds
that have opposing gender imbalances - the world of
programming/computer science (male dominated), and the world of dance
(female dominated). And I have to say that I've definitely observed
that dance communities (dance companies, classes, etc.) tend to be
more lively (and perhaps even more committed and productive) if the
gender imbalance is not too great. There's just something really nice
about diversity, whether its gender, nationality, ethnicity, etc, in a
productive environment. Maybe we're more likely to want to impress
someone that is different than us, I don't know :-)

Anyway, I'd really like to applaud Matias for actively trying to
address the gender imbalance, since if it wasn't for the female
dancers that were encouraging of my participation in dance, I wouldn't
be a dancer now (and I suspect not nearly as happy a person). I think
that until you start to fix the gender imbalance, you don't even
realize what kind of useful feedback, opinions, and participation you
might be missing out on.

Just my two cents.

Stjepan