From: Corrado Zoccolo (czoccolo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-14 05:26:52

John,
if you are going to refactor, probably you can follow the proposals
that circulated on the list, of supporting both approaches.
Basically, you can give an header that has only declarations, one with
(inline) definitions (inline can be controlled with preprocessor
macro), and a source file that will include the definitions with
disabled inlines.

In this way, everyone can choose whether to include the inline
definitions, or compile in its project the source file with
out-of-line versions of the functions.

I think that when one has the option of compiling the library using
his preferred build system, this need for header only library will
just disappear, and other considerations as compile times will weight
more.

I like very much the boost build system, but I have to admit that to
understand how it worked and to appreciate its power took a lot of
time. Maybe relieving just this entry barrier (easing the porting to
the user-chosen build system) will be enough for improve boost
acceptance.

Corrado