From: David Bergman (David.Bergman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-15 15:42:11

Well, instead of confronting these "experts" on the their actual
knowledge of C++ vs "C with some nifty syntactic sugar," we should
point out that VC 6.0 does not deal with (ISO) C++ and - more
importantly - that C++ enables beauty of *use* of a library via
complexity (viewed as "ugliness" by the untrained eye) of its
*implementation*. I.e., one trades some hackery against beauty and non-
redundancy of use.

In fact, it would be enlightening to take this matter down to concrete
code and show how a game engine task could be more succinctly
expressed using the full power of C++ and Boost. I am willing to
provide such a solution to any reasonably small sample code they
present.

Worrying about compilation time being two minutes greater makes an old
geek like me smile. How about not programming according to the "apply
random changes, recompile, suffer through errors and repeat" principle
and instead actually thinking before hitting that compile button in
that cute IDE.

The only valid point that was presented was that of hairy error
messages. Here the concept checkers of Boost can help, though.

/David

Sent from my iPhone