From: Marat Khalili (0x8.0p15_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-17 15:59:26

Steve Trutane wrote:
> My video game crazy 6-year old has asked about writing his own game
> and I was thinking about using this as an opportunity to dive into
> this world with him. I've been wondering what would be the best
> language/platform to use for this, in terms of ease of use, library
> depth, performance, future proofness, and programming pedagogy.

Not just Boost, but IMO STL is very good in closing awkward places in
C++ that came from C - with vectors, auto pointers and streams C++
becomes much more novice-friendly. Of course, one'd have to learn magic
spells like:

shared_ptr<something> my_things = new something(...);

first without understanding of what's going on behind the scenes.
Imagine never knowing about C arrays. In the perspective C++ programmer
will not have problems understanding Java, but converse might not be true.

Flash of course has its benefits. Simple graphics library anyone?

With Best Regards,
Marat