From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-18 10:56:11

Thomas Witt wrote:

>> That is your pick. But I'd like to point out two things:
>>
>> 1. Both issues were reported in reply to your RC2 announcement. I did not
>> saw any comment from you on those issues until now, after RC3. If bug
>> reports for release candidates are silently ignored, what's the point of
>> release candidates? Is there any point to report possible bugs in RC3 at
>> all, if "time for code changes has passed"?
>
> See my comment above.

I probably did not express myself clearly enough. There was RC2. There were
two bugs reported, and you did not comment on them. Don't you think that if you
meant that no code changes will be allowed at this point, it would be better
to clearly indicate that, to save folks time to look into and report bugs?
Don't you think it would be better to explicitly comment on the reported issues,
in any case?

I worry that the general state of release process is not communicated
effectively, so most folks have no idea where we are.

>> 2. Those issues are not so minor.
>
> At som point they have to be catastrophic to justify changes. They are
> not.

Probably. Except that issue http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/1025,
that is *already* targeted to 1.34.1, and marked as fixed, appears to
be not. At the same time, the effort I personally spent on cygwin is
small compared to other folks, and I don't really think cygwin is worth
supporting, so I'll shut up now.

- Volodya