From: Yigong Liu (yigongliu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-19 12:27:45

Hello,

On 7/19/07, Paul Baxter <pauljbaxter_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> 1) Do you think the library is ready for review for incorporation in boost
> yet (solid interfaces, reasonable implementation across several key
> platforms), or are you simply requesting many more people try it and
> support
> development more actively?

Yes, what i really mean is to invite more feed back, suggestions and
corrections on this small library, That is why i am referring to "Initial"
review (i remember i saw it here once for some other projects), not the
formal / last one. If no such thing exist, please let me know.
Currently i am developing Join at two platforms: WindowsXP/vc++ and
Linux/g++. If it can be tried on other platforms, i will really appreciate
it.
How to design a good interface is a really hard subject, everyone has
his/her own style. I am trying to present a "mediocre" / ordinary interface
and hide most template magic inside library (STL also has a simple
interface), hoping more users feel easy with it. Also better integration
with existing libraries and OO designs are very important.

2) In your conversations and literature studies have you found any
> intellectual property claims that might limit access to 'join' methodology
> (Microsoft patents ?).

the Join calculus / Jocaml was developed originally at Moscova INRIA. From
my discussions with researchers at Microsoft and Moscova, all i received are
encouragements. I don't have (use) their source code. The basic ideas come
from the papers. Of course a generic programming design have its own
specific implementation. There are also other Join based systems, such as
Join Java and some Join based transaction processing.

Regards
yigong