From: Daniel Wallin (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-06 08:38:19

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> David Abrahams wrote:

>> Are you not going to answer that?
>
> Unless SVN 1.5 is compatible with svnmerge in any way, then the fact
> that merge tracking is implemented in SVN 1.5 is rather irrelevant
> to our using or not using of svnmerge. It can as well be said that
> Perforce, svk, bzr, git, monotone and mercurial have merge tracking --
> that's true, but has no bearing to anything. So the only way
> to interpret SVN 1.5 remark is to assume that it's some argument in
> favour of svnmerge.

>>> Because then, starting with svnmerge now might not be best idea --
>>> we might as well wait for svn 1.5.
>> What is your argument against using svnmerge.py before svn 1.5 is
>> available?
>
> The fact that interfaces of svnmerge.py and svn 1.5 will be different,
> and any instructions written for svnmerge.py will have to be rewritten,
> and that developers will be confused when we switch, and unless you
> force everybody to merge all branches right before switch to 1.5, you'll
> have branches that have both svnmerge.py and svn 1.5 mergeinfo, and it's
> doubtfull that either tool will be able to handle that.

We could probably enforce this in the pre-commit hook though, catching
any use of the old svnmerge.py properties. And it's pretty likely that
there will be a migration path:

http://subversion.tigris.org/merge-tracking/func-spec.html#migration-and-interoperability

"TODO: Merge meta data from svnmerge.py. Dan Berlin has written Python
 code to perform this migration; it needs to be made available in the
 tools/server-side/ area of the distribution ."

--
Daniel Wallin
Boost Consulting