From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-19 12:23:58

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Thu Oct 18 2007, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
>>> "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

>>> I am not proposing any changes. This is how it was for a long while.

>>> I don't really know. I just notices it in SmokeTest result page.
>> Looking at those tests for Win32 now (rev 40170), there are 16 failures,
>> which is where we were this morning. So it doesn't look like anything
>> new is broken.
>>
>> But, please, be very conservative with the trunk while we are in the
>> middle of getting this release ready.
>
> Really, he's not making any changes; he's just announcing that he
> learned library authors who are using Boost.Test need to take some
> special actions that most people didn't know about before.
>
>> --Beman
>>
>> PS: One good thing that has come out of this is that I've realized that
>> if I commit each smoke test to a repository, I can go back later and see
>> exactly what revision causes a breakage (and by correlating the revision
>> number with the log, who did the commit). I'll give this a try for a few
>> days to see if it works. If it does, maybe it can go in the boost
>> repository so anyone can look at it.
>
> How is that different from what's discussed in
> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2007/08/125906.php

Putting test results in a database is a great long-term solution that I
hope happens someday. But I'm not holding my breath.

Putting test results in a local repository for a single smoke test
series is something that I was able to implement this morning in perhaps
15 minutes and is working now. So it helps with this release, even
though it is a band-aid.

--Beman