From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-08 09:57:09

> My point was that we should focus on making
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&group=severity&milestone=Boost+1.35.0&order=priority
> (the list of tickets assigned to the 1.35.0 milestone) a meaningful
> report for this release.
>
> That means establishing a 1.36.0 milestone, declaring the criteria for
> including a ticket in 1.35.0, telling people that if they want an
> exception they have to get you to okay it, and maybe making any
> assignments of tickets to 1.35.0 and 1.36.0 that are obvious. Then we
> all have a list of issues to focus on killing off and we don't need to
> pester people as much.
>
> If you would like me to take on some of these tasks, please ask me.

[dead silence since Monday]

Am I really the only one that thinks this matters? I realize that as
a project we don't have a lot of experience with effective use of bug
and task tracking, but we also haven't been all that effective in the
run-up to a release. Using the tools we have effectively can make a
big difference.

I'm only suggesting what most other projects I've seen do (including
the Trac project) and it seems to work really well. There are all
kinds of plugins we can install that will give us progress graphs,
etc., but the builtin facilities of Trac are a good start.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting