From: Hervé Brönnimann (hervebronnimann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-13 07:58:25

Ben: Good, we have half the work agreed, then. There is no way you
will be able to make classes into a a standard, it is too heavy
compared to a single free-standing function. This is an extension,
and not a very important one, so it stands best chance for
standardization if it is lightweight, crisp, and still remains
useful. I also don't see what classes bring that is so much better
than free functions.

And after thinking a bit, I came to the conclusion that providing the
assignments from [first, last) to values in [first_value, last_value)
for permutations with repetitions, and multiplicities for
combinations with repetitions, was the best representation for the
input/output. The user can use those to actually produce the
permutations and combinations, i.e. replacing the value (iterator or
integral index) by their elements pointed to in some input sequence,
or copying the elements with the appropriate multiplicity, but it
does away with a lot of things and simplifies the functions while
retaining the core functionality. Doing otherwise would impose
constraints such as CopyConstructible and Assignable for the elements
of the combinations, sorted input range and EqualityComparable, etc.
Not quite clear what you would do also with elements not present in
some combination (multiplicity 0), but that would become present in
the next combination. Etc.

Hope that helps. I'm committed now to reach the best state for this
proposal, so don't be shy criticizing my proposal. If I can't defend
the arguments or you have a better position, I'll be very happy that
we can improve on it!
--HB

Let me continue to improve the proposal, and provide examples. I