From: John Torjo (john.groups_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-06 20:35:08

> You make a series of valid points. My enduring difficulty is that the
> phrase "whole new layer built on top" is technically correct, results in
> the whole new layer never being created and terabytes of free-format
> log files "out there".
>
> I also suspect that if the "new layer" issue was addressed up front it
> would push the design around a bit. There could be a cleaner separation
> between a layer that transports bytes from the point of logging to the
> place of storage and the layer that codes and decodes application data
> to and from the byte stream.

Doesn't the concept "formatters versus destinations" provide just that?

That is formatters provide formatting, and destinations, well you know -
destinations ;)

I still don't clearly know what you want :) If it's just having some
well defined syntax for the logged messages - I would assume this is
achievable using formatting.

Best,
John

--