From: John Torjo (john.groups_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-10 11:32:51

Hi Jens,
> I always have trouble understanding the fine differences between
> Cygwin's gcc (uses probably pristine gcc source with Cygwin's
> POSIX layer) and mingw (a real port to Windows?). I really wonder why
> porting attempts to Windows are not already part of gcc source ...

Beats me :)
>> Replacing string in a file? The VS2005 IDE :)
>>

> And via script?

No need - from the VS2005 IDE I can do find/replace for anything.
>> I'm a Windows kind of guy ;) When I'll have a decent debugger on Linux
>> (gdb on a scale from 1 to 10 , gets 1; ddd on a scale from 1 to 10, gets
>> 3.5), I might consider having a dual boot.
>> Until then...
>>

> I use gdb's command line interface and understand you :-) I suggest you
> try out Eclipse together with the CDT (C/C++) module. CDT 4.0 made a big
> progress, it is fully graphical, cross platform, ... IDE. It's really great.
> It doesn't always work properly with a free Java implementation as found
> in many Linux distributions but now that Java is relicensed to GPL there
> will be a lot of progress.
>
> The last time I indexed Boost trunk I got only a single parser exception
> (which I reported of course). So jumping to a definition of a class, and
> other code navigation works quite good (but not yet perfect).

I don't have too much of a problem with editors, my true problem is a
debugger. The gdb is sooooo bad, that the info I get from it is just
useless.
So I end up doing logging and stuff.

And it's kind of funny to do logging to debug a logging library :)

Best,
John

--
http://John.Torjo.com -- C++ expert