From: Jens Seidel (jensseidel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-10 12:59:22

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 06:32:51PM +0200, John Torjo wrote:
> > I use gdb's command line interface and understand you :-) I suggest you
> > try out Eclipse together with the CDT (C/C++) module. CDT 4.0 made a big
> > progress, it is fully graphical, cross platform, ... IDE. It's really great.
> > It doesn't always work properly with a free Java implementation as found
> > in many Linux distributions but now that Java is relicensed to GPL there
> > will be a lot of progress.
> >
> > The last time I indexed Boost trunk I got only a single parser exception
> > (which I reported of course). So jumping to a definition of a class, and
> > other code navigation works quite good (but not yet perfect).
> >

> I don't have too much of a problem with editors, my true problem is a
> debugger. The gdb is sooooo bad, that the info I get from it is just
> useless.
> So I end up doing logging and stuff.

Eclipse contains a good graphical debugger based on gdb. I'm really sure
it is what you want! Try it out on Windows! (There are always some
issues on Windows if e.g. Cygwin is used because a path<-->drive letter
mapping needs to be specified. Don't know about mingw. It works out of
the box on Linux.)

The current version is also much faster as older ones. Whereas older CDT
module could easily require 30 minutes (or even more) to index Boost the
current version is able to do this in approximetely 1 minute.

PS: There are also many other IDE with good debuggers:
 KDE's kdevelop,
 GNOME's ??? (forgot the name, but I remember that I translated it)
 something as IDE:blocks?

Look at packages.debian.org for some other IDEs ...

PS2: Yep I know it becomes off-topic for this list ...

Jens