From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-21 12:32:24

Johan Råde wrote:
> John Maddock wrote:
>> Johan Råde wrote:
>>>
>>> When I compile the following code on VC71 with the flag /arch:SSE2 I
>>> get an internal compiler error:
>>
>> Hmm, builds OK with VC8 with that flag, do you have any ideas on a
>> possible fix or what it is that trips the compiler up?
>
> In my experience, this kind of problems are almost impossible to
> debug, and tricky to fix.
> Since VC71 is a fairly old compiler, it may not be worth doing it.
> It may be enough to investigate the scope of the problem,
> and then update the docs.
>
> Do you have a VC71 compiler set up, or do you want me to run some
> tests for you?
> I could compile the regression tests on VC71 with /arch:SSE2.
> Just tell what command line I should give to bjam to set the
> /arch:SSE2 flag :-)

It's:

bjam msvc-7.1 release cxxflags=-arch:SSE2

But that doesn't seem to reproduce the problem :-(

I can reproduce from the IDE though, so there must be some other combination
of command line arguments that's required as well I guess. Unfortunately
the error message gives you no idea which instantiation of that template is
responsible - and since it's used ubiquitously in the library - it's hard to
know where to begin to look for the problem.

There are also some other issues I had with VC7.1, where depending upon the
order in which templates are instantiated some of them may not be found at
link time :-(

John.