From: Stjepan Rajko (stipe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-12 15:39:54

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 6:58 AM, Christian Henning <chhenning_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Alright, I can compile the code using MSVC 8. Cool now I can start
> toying with it!

Great! What made it change its mind?

> > I seem to avoid the error but run into an ICE in the storage component
> > (timed_generator inherits storage). If I throw out timed_storage and
> > just feed proc with values manually, I get errors regarding traits_of.
> > That I might be able to deal with in time - I would conjecture that
> > for 7.1, the basic Dataflow.Signals layer might be doable but the
> > generic components might be really tricky to get to work.
> >

> At the risk of talking out of my ... . A library to review would at
> the very least need to compile with MSVC 7.1. I deal with the same
> problem right now. Code works for MSVC 8 but trying to make it compile
> with MSVC 7.1 is a pain. Also, my code looks good in a sense that I
> wouldn't like it to mess it up with preprocessor stuff or
> boost/config. Do you think you can rewrite the layer again to have a
> work with 7.1?

I'm certainly willing to add as much 7.1 support as I can if that
makes it easier for you to use the library where you need it. I don't
think 7.1 support would be a requirement for review though - the
website states a submitted library should compile on at least two
compilers, without specific compilers listed. Of course, the more
supported compilers the better :-)

Now that I have a copy of 7.1 installed, I can start chipping away at
it, but it might take a couple of weeks before I have some serious
time to devote to it. I need to tighten up the tests anyway, and
doing that hand in hand with adding support for a new compiler will
make writing good tests easier.

Anyway, I'm glad you can at least play with the lib on 8.0 for now -
if you have any feedback or requests please let me know (here or
off-list), I'm most interested to hear how the library suits (or
doesn't suit) your needs!

Cheers,

Stjepan