From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-14 18:57:54

Robert Dailey wrote:

> Thank you very much for helping. I wouldn't go as far as to say it isn't
> hard, because that looks very hard IMHO. I was hoping for something a little
> more intuitive and built-in. Instead of going through all of that work I
> will probably first try to find a different third party regular expression
> library that can automate this task for me so that I can keep my code a
> little cleaner and focus on the actual task.

Hm, OK. Good luck. Maybe Boost.Regex has this feature.

> I know that other regex
> libraries in other languages provide such a feature. Perhaps in the future
> Boost.Xpressive can be extended to provide this behavior. You could simply
> create a version of regex_replace() that takes a functor as the replacement
> instead of a string.

Nothing is simple. It would require careful design work, tests and docs.
If you feel strongly about it (and it /would/ be useful), you can open a
feature request on svn.boost.org. Or even better, submit a patch. This
is open source, after all, and I welcome your participation.

--
Eric Niebler
Boost Consulting