From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-22 19:58:59

on Wed May 21 2008, Larry Evans <cppljevans-AT-suddenlink.net> wrote:

> On 05/21/08 08:48, Zach Laine wrote:

> >> My impression from earlier posts, and the path decomposition table
> >> in the docs, is that leaf is a bad name because it can return an
> >> interior node in the filesystem.
>
> > Then the leaf referred to is still the leaf of a subtree of the
> > filesystem. I'm as into proper naming as the next guy. The point
> > I'm trying to get across is that the name "leaf()" seems very
> > natural to me. In fact, it has never given me a moment's pause.
>

> Would the term "pruned_leaf" be an acceptable compromise?

Bleah; that's just more complicated and less evocative of what's
actually going on. Just use the darned name that everyone else uses!
Or, if you *really* can't stand "basename()", at least use a word that's
conceptually appropriate like "tail()" or, heck, "back()"

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing