From: Edd Dawson (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-27 14:06:15

On 26 May 2008, at 08:13, Ioannis Papadopoulos wrote:

> Edd Dawson wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> A while ago, I implemented the Boost.Thread API in terms of Windows
>> Fibers and <uncontext.h> functionality. The result is the ability to
>> run code written with boost threads in a single OS thread.
>>
>> I find it useful for writing tests where determinism is important
>> i.e.
>> to test algorithmic correctness in isolation from synchronization-
>> related concerns.
>>
>> I haven't updated it to mirror the new 1.35 API yet, but I was
>> wondering if any other boost users would be interested in this or if
>> it might be thought suitable for inclusion in the boost library
>> collection.
>>

> So what exactly is the status of the library?

It compiles and works on the systems listed on my webpage. I can
replace all my code that uses boost threads very easily (i.e. by
changing compiler/linker include and library search directories). The
API still mirrors version 1.34 of Boost.Thread, however.

> And how much different
> would it be from recompiling Boost.Thread with pth
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/)?

No different. Except it would work on Windows, whereas a pth-based
implementation of Boost.Thread wouldn't (AFAICT).

Edd