From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-06 15:51:01

"Daniel Walker" <daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> Regarding Boost.Bind, will it eventually support is_bind_expression? I
> mean will it treat types for which is_bind_expression is true as
> full-blown bind sub-expressions? (I know it's a matter of time and
> work and testing to get this, and I'd be willing to help out, write
> test cases, whatever's needed.)

The structure of the current implementation is written with MSVC6/bcc
5.5-class compilers in mind, and it's hard to add new features without
breaking something. It's not impossible, but given that there's no real
demand for "bind interoperability" and no significant adoption of
is_bind_expression and is_placeholder... why should we bother? It's easier
to do nothing and wait for std::bind :-)

> Also, Peter, weren't you thinking of proposing operator overloads for
> bind expressions in C++0x? I think you have some already implemented
> in Boost.Bind. Do you think operator overloads are likely to make it
> into the final draft?

I gave this some thought and decided that the operator overloads can wait
for TR2, if the built-in lambdas do not make them obsolete before they're
even proposed. :-)