From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-13 05:08:41

James Sharpe wrote:
> [...]

Well, a DVCS without excellent support for merge and private commits
would probably be a disaster ;-)

> Personally I find tools such as
> gitk useful in visualizing the progress of the project and I just in
> general feel much more comfortable with merging with a DVCS tool than
> with subversion.

What is needed is good merge management and merge tools--not necessarily
git. Git does not really support Windows and in practical terms Boost
would need someone to manage, support and host the master git repository
anyway--who?. So the big difference between DVCS and centralized
repository VCS for Boost does not strike me. Better native merge tools
in svn is an upcoming feature. A good Boost svn-git gateway or use of
SVK for private synchronized repositories and branches can mend many of
the other svn shortcomings.

> I get the feeling that most people working on boost haven't actually
> tried a DVCS, and I would encourage people to try it out if they
> haven't already.

Agree, but that is based on other DVCS traits than the false fact that
merges are inherently hard with any none-decentralized VCS. Moreover,
as far as suitability for Boost, I think this discussion is dead unless
somebody come up with solid suggestions for tools that work nicely with
existing Boost SVN. Alternatives to Boost SVN that is significantly
better and is professionally supported in both transition and
production is not likely to happen any time soon.

--
Bjørn