From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-20 03:09:13

On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Rene Rivera wrote:

> Gennaro Prota wrote:
>> Beman Dawes wrote:
>>> ********************************************************************
>>> branches/release is open for merging all stable changes,
>>> including bug fixes, and major
>>> upgrades to existing libraries. Breaking changes should be
>>> coordinated with libraries
>>> affected. New libraries may be added with permission of a release
>>> manager.
>>> ********************************************************************
>> Hi Beman, Rene, Daniel,
>> I know I should already know this, but I was completely lost in
>> the Wiki pages. Perhaps just the stifling heat we have here. Well,
>> I made several changes related to dynamic_bitset, in trunk, and I
>> thought they would be (now) in the release 1.37 branch. They
>> aren't. So, where does the release branch originate from?
>
> It's always from the previous release.

Is this a good thing? Wouldn't this mean that the releases will
diverge from the trunk, increasingly so after each release? I feel
that would be _very_ bad. Is there some sort of merging going on
between the trunk and release (in either direction, or both)? We
don't want fixes and new libraries on the trunk being missed for
release.

Shouldn't the final form of the release workspace be merged back into
the trunk (and then the branch [but not tag] deleted), and the next
version's workspace branched from the merged trunk?

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie