From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-27 12:33:18

Marshall Clow wrote:

> Dave is correct.
> I meant that never removing interfaces is madness.
>
> Anyone remember the interface for iterators before the STL?
> iter = <whatever>
> while ( iter.more ())
> {
> // do stuff
> iter.next ();
> }

before STL? Wasn't std a new namespace? Didn't it require
inclusion of a new header? That would
qualify as name change. I have no idea about the above code
but I don't think introduction of STL would prevent it compiling
and running.

> Should iterators still support this - or is it a good thing that
> Stepanov (and others) decided that they had a better way? [ This is
> not just syntax, btw ]

If I have a header x.hpp and I compile my code in the year 2000
I should be able to recompile it in the year 2008 without having
to debug it again.

Robert Ramey