Subject: Re: [boost] lifetime of ranges vs. iterators
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-03 13:21:14

on Wed Sep 03 2008, "Giovanni Piero Deretta" <gpderetta-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Usually is a matter of converting a text document to a point in a
>>> feature vector space as a preprocessing stage:
>>
>> e.g., for the purposes of search? Just trying to get a feel for what
>> you're describing.
>
> Near duplicate elimination and document clustering in general. Most
> clustering algorithms work on representations of documents as points
> in a very high dimension space.

OK.

>>> Most pipelines start with tokenization, normalization, filtering and
>>> hashing, with a 'take' operation at the end.
>>
>> By 'take' you mean a destructive read?
>>

> What do you mean with 'destructive'?

Nevermind; it was a stab in the dark and you explain what you mean
below.

> 'take(range, n)' returns a range adaptor that iterates over the first
> 'n' elements of 'range'. This way I do not have to decide how much of
> the original document (which theoretically could be of unlimited
> length) I need to until the end of the pipeline (most importantly, I
> want to set the final length *after* filtering).

OK.

> <snip>
>>> Most of the uses of lazy ranges are in relatively non performance
>>> critical part of the application, so I do not aim for absolute zero
>>> abstraction overhead.
>>
>> Okay, so... is it worth breaking up the iterator abstraction for this
>> purpose?
>
> Do you think we are breaking the iterator abstraction? How? Or I've
> misunderstood the question?

Well, if we add "Factorable" or something like it, the iterator
abstraction gets broken down into smaller bits for the purpose of
storage, complicating some code [like a generic range for example ;-)]
and it imposes an extra coding duty on writers of high-quality iterator
adaptors. I'm asking if its worth it.

> We are simply trying to come up with a simple and clean trick to keep
> iterator size under control.

Really? IIUC so far we're only discussing compressing the size of
ranges, unless we're willing to pay for indirection inside of iterators
(I'm not).

>>> I'm interested in using dynamic iterators in the near future for code
>>> decoupling
>>
>> You mean, like, any_iterator?
>>

> Yes.
>
>>> and It would be a pity if these ranges couldn't fit in a small object
>>> optimization buffer.
>>
>> Do you know how big that target ("small object optimization buffer") is?
>
> I'm going to implement my own any_iterator, so I'll make the buffer
> big enough for the average iterator size.

Oh, that's not the small object optimization. The SOO is only done by
compilers: it means passing small objects in registers instead of on the
stack.
http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/isn/Community/en-US/forums/thread/323704.aspx
IIUC you're talking about the too-specifically-named "small string
optimization."

I don't understand why you would implement any_iterator yourself when
there are so many extant implementations, but maybe it's none of my
business.

> Currently the iterators I use are often over 400 bytes, which is a bit
> to big :), thus the need to squeeze their size down as much as
> possible. A hundred bytes could be enough [1].

Again, have you measured?

> [1] 100 bytes for SBO might seems a lot, but, I've used a custom
> string with a very large SBO buffer (over 100 bytes), been happily
> copying it around and performance was much better than with standard
> std::string (which, admittedly, did do reference counting but no SBO).
> I guess that the size of the buffer depends a lot on what you are
> going to do with it.

Yes indeed.

--
Dave Abrahams