Subject: Re: [boost] [mp_int] new release
From: Brandon Kohn (blkohn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-08 11:01:23

From: "Mathias Gaunard" <mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 5:50 PM
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>

> Kevin Sopp wrote:
>
>> I made a new release of my multiprecision integer library
>
> I personally find the words arbitrary precision or multiprecision
> ambiguous.
> I never know which one means that the numbers grow as needed and which
> ones means that it can work with any size, but fixed (which is useful to
> simulating hardware).

I have this same issue. From my tests I suspect his grows arbitrarily. I
would propose a name change to reflect that. I'm sure this has been
discussed before. big_int seems popular if a bit crude. Assuming it is
arbitrary, arbitrary_precision_int? (perhaps convenience typedefs?) I tend
to prefer descriptive names to abbreviations; though I concede I may be in
the minority.