Subject: Re: [boost] Preview 3 of the Geometry Library
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-19 12:48:51

Barend Gehrels wrote:
> Herewith the URL to the third preview of our Geometry Library, including documentation and examples.

> http://geometrylibrary.geodan.nl

Hi Barend,

Some quick comment follow. Apologies for not looking at this in more depth.

- Can you please see if it's possible to make the URL quoted above work
better when Javascript is disabled?

- I note that you're supporting homogeneous coordinates in arbitrary
dimensions. My current requirements are for at least partially
heterogeneous coordinates in 2 or 3 dimensions. Of course you can't
support all permutations and combinations of requirements, but you
should perhaps qualify some names to indicate their limited scope.

- I have always used a very simple point type: struct point { T x; T y;
};. It seems that I could continue to use "user" code in this style
with your library; however, as a potential library author, I need to
replace "p.x" with something like "access<P>::get<0>(p)". I'm not
wildly enthusiastic about this verbosity. I accept that I'm outvoted
on this, but I'm going to continue to remind you (all) that I'm unhappy
about it.

- I have previously noted that you can advertise your distance function
as returning a "type convertible to T" in order to avoid unnecessary
sqrt calculations while, for example, scanning a list of points to find
the one furthest from p.

- I look forward to seeing concepts for shapes.

- Is there a strategy for "within" that can be used when the shapes
being tested store their bounding boxes?

Regards, Phil.