Subject: Re: [boost] ATTN: Beman / Eric (was Re: [1.37] status/Jamfile.v2)
From: Nicola Musatti (Nicola.Musatti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-20 04:03:53

Eric Niebler <eric <at> boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Nicola Musatti wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > sorry to insist, but I think this should go in rather sooner than later.
>
> Thanks for the head-up Nicola. Some questions below ...
>
> > Nicola Musatti wrote:
>
> What makes you say that? The tests on the release branch have been
> running successfully.

I'm not sure where the difference is between how the official regression tests
are run and how local testing is performed. If I run bjam from the boost/status
directory in a sandbox checked out from branches/release with a command line as
the following:

bjam -a --v2 --dump-tests toolset=borland-6.1.0

The tests for the libraries I listed below aren't run.

> Which ones?
>
> >> No, it's much worse than that. I suspect that several libraries' test
> >> directories need to be merged to release:
> >> - array
> >> - crc
> >> - functional
> >> - integer (?)
> >> - preprocessor (?)
> >> - rational
> >> - utility/swap
> >>
> >> Let me know if you need any help with this.
>
> How did you come up with this list? It's really up to the authors of
> those libraries whether to merge to release or not, right?

I started by comparing the test results I get by running
process_jam_log/compiler_status on trunk and on branches/release and noticed
that the latter was missing a few results. I then compared the corresponding
libraries' directories under boost/libs and noticed that a few of them were
lacking their respective test subdirectory, while others had other
discrepancies. I can't reach my testing environment right now, but if I remember
correctly array, crc, functional/hash and rational all lack their test
directory, preprocessor is lacking its test/Jamfile.v2 file and utility/swap is
completely missing from the release branch. Concerning this last issue I took
the liberty of mailing utility/swap's author to remind him about the need of
merging.

I'm aware that library authors should take care of merging their libraries to
the release branch, but some of these libraries are quite old and their authors
may not be that active in Boost any more; I'm not even sure they were involved
in the test reorganization. Judging from the svn logs the reorganization was
actually performed by Rene Rivera.

Cheers,
Nicola