Subject: Re: [boost] [doc]Traduction of the documentation
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-21 07:54:02

Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>> Mathias Gaunard wrote:
>
>>> `traduction' is not an English word, you probably meant `translation'.
>>
>> Before making such a statement you should peruse an English dictionary.
>
> I did a quick check on wikipedia, wiktionary and google, and couldn't
> find "traduction" as an English word.

This shows that online sources should not be taken as a source of truth
all of the time.

> I also asked a few native speakers which told me it didn't exist as far
> as they knew.
>
> So I assumed it either isn't one or that it has little enough usage that
> a great amount of people wouldn't consider it to be.

LOL ! What "a great amount of people" consider correct and what is
correct are often different.

>> It is most definitely in my "Webster's 3rd New International
>> Dictionary" for English so I would really be surprised if it was not
>> an English word. The "Webster's" is not the OED but it is pretty good.
>
> I suppose I was wrong then.
> Still, I think using "translation" would be clearer.

I agree with that, but non-native English speaking people should not be
told they are wrong when they go "by the book".