Subject: Re: [boost] Building 'stage' by default
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-23 06:05:12

On
> Behalf Of Vladimir Prus
> Sent: 22 November 2008 08:40
> To: Boost mailing list
> Subject: [boost] Building 'stage' by default
>

> We presently have 3 ways of building C++ Boost from top-level directory:
>
> - with 'stage' target -- only libraries are installed
> - with 'install' target -- both libraries and headers are installed
> - with no explicit target -- everything is built, but nothing
installed

> It seems to me that the first two options are what the majority of users
will want,
> so some of them should be the default. I have a local patch that makes
'stage' the
> default, and additionally prints the following message:
>
> Performing 'stage' build by default:
> - binaries installed into 'stage/lib'
> - headers not installed, use the source tree
> Use the 'install' target for complete installation.
>
> This message is printed only if no explicit target is specified -- if user
types
> 'stage' or 'install', it's assumed he knows what he's doing.
>
> Anybody has any comments on this change in defaults, or about the wording
of
> the message?

This sounds sensible to me.

Could all the messages be even more specific - giving full paths?
Is 'source tree' obvious to newbies?

But don't many people really just want the library in a boost-root/lib
directory?

(leaving aside that the naming of all these sub directories seemed dotty to
a Windows-newbie - but there you go...).

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse