Subject: Re: [boost] Maintenance Guidelines wiki page (Revison 8)
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-29 10:05:13

on Wed Nov 26 2008, "vicente.botet" <vicente.botet-AT-wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>>> Testing all possible orderings seems impractical. I could be wrong of
>>> course...
>>>

>> It's definitely impractical to test every possible pair. Even if it is
>> restricted to stay within a
>> single library, this would be many thousands of compilations...
>
> Have someone measure the time that it will take already?
> Can this kind of test runed once a week?
>
> I don't know very well bjam, but can the following variation of you
> Jamfile compile in include_all_rev the same files than in include_all
> but included in reverse order. If yes at least this test could improve
> the test coverage.

I think you may be missing my point. This sounds like one of those
"really good ideas" that comes with a high resource overhead: machines,
administration, software infrastructure, and communication bandwidth all
come to mind. If you want such a proposal to be impactful, it's really
helpful to handle those kinds of concerns up-front by proposing
solutions (including volunteering to manage the implementation of the
proposal). Otherwise, someone like me, whose attention is already
spread too thinly, tends to tune the proposal out because it just seems
too impractical.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing