Subject: Re: [boost] Maintenance Guidelines wiki page (Revison 8)
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-29 13:12:09

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2008 4:05 PM

>>> It's definitely impractical to test every possible pair. Even if it is
>>> restricted to stay within a
>>> single library, this would be many thousands of compilations...
>>
>> Have someone measure the time that it will take already?
>> Can this kind of test runed once a week?
>>
>> I don't know very well bjam, but can the following variation of you
>> Jamfile compile in include_all_rev the same files than in include_all
>> but included in reverse order. If yes at least this test could improve
>> the test coverage.
>
> I think you may be missing my point.

No, I don't think so.

> This sounds like one of those
> "really good ideas" that comes with a high resource overhead: machines,
> administration, software infrastructure, and communication bandwidth all
> come to mind.

I think you have misunderstood my last proposal. The proposal I did, do not spend more time than the one of Steven Watanabe. It just reverse the order of include files, so no more resources needed ;-)

Steven's Jamfile build two binaries include_all1 and include_all2, with the following content
    #include "file1"
    #include "file2"
    #include "filen"

What I have proposed is that include_all inlcude these files and include_all_rev do
    #include "filen"
    #include "file2"
    #include "file1"

In this way we test that the inclusion of one file works with all the other files included before and after.

Is about this proposal you are talking about?

The modification I sugested to the Steven's Jamfile do not works, I supose because bjam 'for var in list' instantiate the variable var in orderered contents of list.
    for local file in $(sources) {
        print.text "#include <$(file:G=)>
" : overwrite ;
    }

Is there a way to avoid this ordering with bjam?

I think that I'll need to start playing more seriously with bjam :)

Best regards,
Vicente