Subject: Re: [boost] [python] Python 3.0
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-05 10:45:02

Robert Dailey wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Stefan Seefeld <seefeld_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> Robert Dailey wrote:
>>

>>> Will Boost.Python 1.37 work with the Python 3.0 library?
>>>

>> That's highly unlikely. Just try it and you'll find out !
>>

> Thanks for your response. I thought about trying it but I'm just too busy at
> work unfortunately. Does anyone on the boost team plan on upgrading
> Boost.Python to work with Python 3.0 since it was finally released on
> December 3rd?

I just tried building against python 3, and, as expected, ran into a
couple of compilation errors. I have no idea (yet) how big the changes
between the Python 2.x C API and the Python 3 C API are, and thus, how
much effort is required to add support for Python 3.

However, given how much backward incompatibe changes went into Python 3,
I expect Python 2(.6) to stay around for quite a long time, so adding
support for Python 3 to boost.python may not be a very pressing issue.

But that's just my 2 cents, obviously.

Regards,
       Stefan