Subject: Re: [boost] [review][constrained_value] Review of Constrained Value Library begins today
From: Thorsten Ottosen (thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-09 07:20:23

Robert Kawulak skrev:
>> From: Thorsten Ottosen
>
>>> It's not portability that has been the main concern here.
>> It is the very small
>>> set of guarantees given by the standard regarding FP
>> calculations, lacking some
>>> of the natural assumptions everybody has when working with
>> FP. Also lacking some
>>> of the guarantees that would make preserving the invariant
>> of constrained float
>>> an easy task.
>> It's not the library that can take this decision for the users. The
>> library does as much as it can to help the users. It still
>> better than
>> status quo.
>
> Sorry, I'm not sure if I understand your point here -- could you please rephrase
> this?

There is nothing profound here. It's the same thing I been trying to
communicate for some time. The fact that floating points are surprising
and tricky is not an argument against putting support for bounded_float
in your library. User deal with these problems in ad hoc manners (the
status quo), and your library can help them with easier error-checking
and clipping etc.

-Thorsten