Subject: Re: [boost] [spirit] Library naming and sub-libraries
From: Peter Simons (simons_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-03 11:45:14

Hi Andrey,

> I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to convince me in. Is it
> that library names are irrelevant to their domain?

the truth typically lies somewhere in the middle. A descriptive project
name is helpful to some degree -- yet there are plenty of projects out
there that succeed admirably despite their non-descriptive names. Think
"Firefox", if you like. Arguably, the name "Boost" is not excessively
descriptive either. It so happens, however, that the users of these
projects appear to care more about technical excellence than about
names.

To say that library names would be "irrelevant" is an exaggeration. The
amount of attention you appear to be paying to this subject, however, is
exaggerated too. Frankly, your repeated complaints about Spirit's naming
decisions feel like nitpicking. I, for one, wouldn't mind if you would
drop the subject now and instead spend your time, say, finalizing the
Boost.Log library?

Logging seems to be a controversial subject. I will be a lot of effort
to get your code past the review.

Take care,
Peter