Subject: Re: [boost] RE [filesystem][cygwin] Standard conformance for wide characters
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-13 11:30:07

2009/1/13 <frederic.bron_at_[hidden]>:

>> I've decided not to attempt support for Cygwin in the next version of
>> Boost.Filesystem.
>
> I understand your point. You already do so much for the community! I do not know how fix the cygwin gcc but is your v3 going to work for non-wide characters on that platform?

No. That's the problem. Narrow character only support ends up messing
up the code beyond my level of tolerance.

For a library that builds in wide character support right from the
start, it really isn't C++ anymore if the standard library's wide
character support isn't there. The implementation is using wide
characters internally, most of the interface is templatized, and wide
character test cases are intermingled with narrow character test
cases.

Perhaps I'm just getting old and cranky, but it's been way over 10
years since all this stuff was standardized. It is time for cygwin to
stop tormenting developers and provide full C++ 98 conformance.

--Beman