Subject: Re: [boost] [Release Managers] Merging Parameter to Release
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-30 15:14:32

David Abrahams wrote:
>> What are the nature of the recent changes? Bug fixes?
>
> A bug fix and associated doc change.
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/50863
>
>> If so, I'm inclined to accept the bug fixes and reject the additional
>> tests to avoid the appearance of a regression. Beman?
>
> That's the possibility I was suggesting.

Hmmm - wouldn't that just be hiding a bug?
Are we doing anyone any favor by hiding a test known to fail?

I think you should just leave the new tests in even though they
are failing. Perhaps an addition in the release notes to indicate
a pending issue would be in order.

I presume that the newer version is strictly better than the
previous one so there's no question that it should be released.

I would say,

a) Release the library with the failing test
b) Note the recently detected bug in the release notes
c) Address the bug separately.

Note that this wouldn't break precedent in anyway since
all libraries have test failures on at least some platforms.

Robert Ramey