Subject: Re: [boost] [documentation] help - SFINAE confuses doxygen
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-21 00:07:07

Eric Niebler wrote:

> It could be a problem in doxygen or with boost's doxygen2boostbook xsl
> transform. Try running doxygen over the code standalone (that is,
> outside of the boostbook toolchain). If the problem persists, you can
> try reporting the problem to the Doxygen team. If it doesn't, post a
> message to the boost docs list (mailto:boost-docs_at_[hidden]) and
> someone will fix it.
>
> In my experience, doxygen doesn't handle advanced C++ very well at
> all. I have sometimes had to resort to hand-editing doxygen's output,
> which pretty much defeats its purpose.

Thanks Steven, Eric,

I am using doxygen standalone for now.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I have to treat doxygen as little more than an alternative to direct html editing because its extraction capabilities prove near useless to me. I figure I can define a doxygen \page for each overloaded function name, list the concepts/(combinations of concepts) that work with that function and let doxygen autolink to documentation on each concept struct that includes a list of function names that ought to link back to those pages since the real functions will remain "undocumented" as far as doxygen is concerned. If I throw the concepts in a group I ought to have a very nicely organized document. Doxygen can create nice html from the original source and I can link to the header files in which things are defined by header file name, but I haven't found a way to link to a tag within a source file allowing a reader to link directly to the declaration of a function, for instance. All this is only marginally better than achieving the same thing by hand in html. Even so I should have a very nice document in short order. I'm working on it full time, and plan on having it ready for review by April.

Regards,
Luke