Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review: Boost.RangeEx
From: Kai Schroeder (kaischroeder3_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-28 09:35:26

Hi Neil,

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Neil Groves <neil_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Dear Mathias,
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Mathias Gaunard <
> mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > Neil Groves wrote:
> >
> > So is everyone happy if I:
> >> 1. Change the 'ed' adaptors to _view
> >>

> > I wouldn't be too happy about it.
> > The lazy adaptors being preferred over the eager in-place algorithms, the
> > name of the adaptors should be as short as possible, especially since
> > chaining of adaptors can lead to fairly long expressions.
> >

> I'm not going to do this change. It appears that more people are happy with
> the current 'ed' ending than a '_view' ending. I don't have a strong
> opinion
> at all on this issue, but it's clear the majority prefer 'ed'. It's great
> have reviewers so I can stop guessing.

As nobody has mentioned it yet, I would like to point out that boost:gil
already uses the _view ending. Quoting from the documentation:

An image view is a generalization of STL's range concept to multiple
dimensions. Similar to ranges (and iterators), image views are shallow,
don't own the underlying data and don't propagate their constness over the
data. For example, a constant image view cannot be resized, but may allow
modifying the pixels.

GIL uses names like greyscale_view, nth_channel_view, planar_rgb_view. Using
'ed' style naming one could use names like greyscale_converted,
nth_channel_selected. I am not sure what naming scheme is better but some
consistency within boost would be nice.

Kai Schroeder