Subject: Re: [boost] boost::directx?
From: Christian Schladetsch (christian.schladetsch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 10:02:05

Hi Maik,

What I get from your answer is you are not a user of either version,
> especially not spirit2.x which provides what you talked about.

I tried to use Spirit in 2002. I tried again in 2003, and 2005. In 2004 I
found ANTLR. It solved my problems and gave me some half-decent errors.

Spirit is not the be-all-end-all of parsers, just because it is clever.
There is a lot to making a language-creation system, and being clever about
it is just a part of it. Spirit is not the final answer to language tools.

Sorry that I am not towing the party line, but someone has to say it. Using
Spirit is hard and there are other systems that are better, for different
metrics of "better".

As Hartmut and Joel pointed out, do not spread false information about
> things
> you don't use/know.

Also, don't claim authority from perceived experience. I know precisely of
what I speak about.

Have you ever tried to use ANTLR?

> Christian, an attitude like yours is poison for a community. If you
> continue
> to attack before arguing you'll most likely not place any code, no matter
> how
> good it is.

Common threats like that show more poorly on you than on me. People will use
what is best suited to a task; if that means DirectX, or ANTLR, or a
monotonic allocator, that is up to them.

I am not daunted by your perceived superiority, and I am not daunted by the
"gods" on boost.

Rather, I believe that what is better will win out in the end.

> --Maik

Christian