Subject: Re: [boost] boost::directx?
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 10:19:49

Christian Schladetsch wrote:
> Hi Maik,
>
> What I get from your answer is you are not a user of either version,
>> especially not spirit2.x which provides what you talked about.
>

> I tried to use Spirit in 2002. I tried again in 2003, and 2005. In 2004 I
> found ANTLR. It solved my problems and gave me some half-decent errors.
>
> Spirit is not the be-all-end-all of parsers, just because it is clever.
> There is a lot to making a language-creation system, and being clever about
> it is just a part of it. Spirit is not the final answer to language tools.
>
> Sorry that I am not towing the party line, but someone has to say it. Using
> Spirit is hard and there are other systems that are better, for different
> metrics of "better".
>
> As Hartmut and Joel pointed out, do not spread false information about
>> things
>> you don't use/know.
>

> Also, don't claim authority from perceived experience. I know precisely of
> what I speak about.
>
> Have you ever tried to use ANTLR?

I have. And I have a high respect for PCCTS/ANTLR. I've known
Terrence Parr since the 90s and PCCTS was/is a major influence
(among other parsers). Let's not start another X vs. Y war here,
please. Spirit does not claim to be the final answer to language
tools. All we are saying is that your information that Spirit
does not have ASTs and does not support string templates is wrong.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com