Subject: Re: [boost] optional<optional<T>>
From: Andrei Alexandrescu (andrei_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-03 11:20:53

joel wrote:
> OvermindDL1 wrote:
>> In D a template is !() unlike in C++ where it is <>. I personally
>> like <> better since I am used to it, but !() is certainly easier to
>> parse and is unambiguous...
>> But yes, that regex is completely lowered to pure D code at compile
>> time, ala Boost.Xpressive's static regex parser.
>>
>> D really does mix in a lot of LISP's power into a C++ syntax (not all
>> of LISP's power, but it gets *REALLY* close)
> Same here, I'm really enticed to jump into the D bandwagon. Alas lack of
> proper std and industrial support makes it awkward for me to use :(
>
> even more off topic:
> Andrei, anyway random dev. can particiapte to D's development ?

(I'll very briefly answer two points to keep off-topicness to a minimum:
(1) I agree that Spirit should be redesigned for D instead of merely
ported because D's ability to manipulate strings statically and generate
code from strings opens additional opportunities. (2) Random devices
cannot participate because they tend to generate uncompilable code. But
people can, and a good point to start is the newsgroup digitalmars.d off
NNTP server news.digitalmars.com, no registration required.)

Thanks everyone who responded. My understanding is that the best way to
go about Optional<Optional<T>> is to leave it be and offer a
metafunction that folds it if needed.

Thanks!

Andrei