Subject: Re: [boost] [cmake] revision 50756 failed to merge some file properties
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-09 11:13:28

Joaquin M Lopez Munoz wrote:

> Vladimir Prus <vladimir <at> codesourcery.com> writes:
>

>> joaquin <at> tid.es wrote:
>>
>> > Would it be possible to set up a regression runner that uses CMake
>> > instead of Boost.Build so that problems with CMake are treated
>> the same way as "regular" problems?
>>
>> Why should this be the case? CMake is experimental, and it seems wrong
>> to promote problems with experimental anything to regular problems.
>
> From my point of view, anything that's released along with Boost
> should be as thoroughly tested as possible.

I believe that CMake was added to trunk, and release branch, for
no other reason than to help CMake folks with development. It was
not meant to have any other consequences, from what I understand.

> If CMake support
> is indeed to be given experimental status,

Well, it's officially experimental from the start :-)

> then it'd be better
> to ship its stuff separately.

I have no comment on this.

>> I think we also have SCons setup for Boost -- should that be also
>> regression tested, and problems treated as regular?
>
> What's the alternative, not testing it or not dealing with the
> arising problems?

Well, anybody is free to setup a regression tester -- including
for any experimental branch. It's only becomes a concern if
any failures from such regression tester get mixed with regular
test result (requiring an extra effort to triage) or require
extra work on part of developers.

- Volodya